Thursday, September 06, 2007

Mitered Tunisian Update

I have played with the mitered tunisian and so far I like the second method I have taught myself in doing the decrease/increase section.

Update: {I should have put here that this is done starting with 10 stitches and in the () is working with 20 stitches. I would guess that you could use as many stitches as you want as long as they are even amounts.}

Cast on 10 (20) stitches
Yarn over Pull through 2 stitches 3 (8) times
Yarn over pull through the chain stitch and the next 4 stitches on the hook
Yarn over pull through 2 stitches 3 (8) times


*Pickup row:
Skip first vertical bar, Pick up a stitch in the next 3 (8) vertical bars
Pick up a stitch going through all four bars of the decrease
Insert hook under chain, yo and pull up a loop leaving on hook for the second stitch of the decrease
Pick up a stitch in the next 3 (8) vertical bars going under two loops for the side stitch.
8 (16) stitches on hook

Return row:
Yarn over Pull through 2 stitches 2 (7) times
Yarn over pull through the chain stitch and the next 4 stitches on the hook
Yarn over pull through 2 stitches 2 (7) times*
6 (14) stitches on hook

Repeat these two rows decreasing by two for every row till there are only four stitches on the pickup row

Next row:
Yo pull through the chain and the next 2 stitches
Yo pull through the chain and the next 2 stitches

Pick up row
Pick up a stitch in the left end going through both loops of the end stitch, 2 stitches on hook
Yo pull through all loops.

You now have one stitch left on the hook.

To do another section pick up 5 (10) stitches along the left side of the piece you just finished.

Once you have all the stitches on the hook you have to increase from the pickup row end adding another 5 (10) stitches.

To increase twist the working yarn to the right and place on hook 5 (10) times.

Work second section same as the first.

When working off the increased side section I find it very helpful to place the increases on loosely. When I put them on tightly I kept loosing stitches. The looser stitches tightened themselves as they were being worked.

Also the stitches were easier to work off when I slightly lifted the one on the hook to be worked off.

I'll get pictures of the first method, the decrease by working two, then two again off the hook, and this one where I worked all four stitches together then did a single increase to make up the difference when I have more time. I did these swatches on a large yellow moez hook in one color so they don't show too well, but you will be able to get an idea of what the difference is.

Now I have figured out how to do the panel upwards but I have yet to figure out how to increase along the sides of this panel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home